Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Tuesday August 13th Ajax to Trenton 83 miles


 

Last night at peloton, Peter Slofstra spoke about his 2005 Sea to Sea bike tour experience and how he was involved in the organization to the tour and provided spiritual support.  The name Sea to Sea came from a verse in the Psalms that describes how God will have dominion from Sea to Sea.  Being Canada is a dominion Peter was inspired to call the bike tour crossing the country of Canada in 2005 Sea to Sea.  This title has been used ever since but now understanding how the name came to be makes it that much more meaningful. Peter also discussed the term “let it roll” that was used in 2005 referring to how much we roll up things like sleeping bags, air mattresses, tents.  When we come across intense and friction in the group we should just “let it roll” - good advice. 
 


He also talked about the community we are in and how much we need the community we are part of to survive each day. Personally, I know how much I need the SAG stops and getting fresh fruit and water.  I need a break every 15-20 miles and the SAG stops are life savers for all cyclists.  I know how much I appreciate and depend on fellow cyclists to help me draft behind them so the day is not as hard.  As I pedal each day, I am reminded how much we need community every day at home and need to support and encourage each other every day.  Not one of us can survive without support and encouragement from family and friends. 




Today, we had awesome hospitality at three churches along the route and were welcome by a crowd of people at each church. What a welcome and greeting we received.  First was Hope Fellowship in Court ice where we were surprised by lots of food and dishes of candy including droppies that cyclists could out into bags to take along.  Then onto to Cobourg where we were also greeted. There we were able to eat freshly made Oliebollen a Dutch raisin fritter usually served on New Year’s.  What a spread and feast.  Once we left Cobourg the skies got dark and we ended up in rain.  I was riding with Dave Geerlings, Russ Johnson, Nancy Nienhuis and Jan Quist.  We were close to a grocery store so we stood under the overhang out of the rain.  It poured and we decided to wait it out.  We then headed out and arrived at Brighton CRC where we were again fed a spread of fruit, cheese, sloppy Joes and sweets.  I resisted eating too much as too many sweets and too much food do not agree with me while riding. Once my ride is over I am usually famished and want to eat, but have to wait till supper at 6.   At one of the churches and after the rain I caught Barb and Donna in some new garb.
 
We also ran into an unexpected detour and had to carry our bikes around the construction.  Thanks to some strong gentlemen I was able to get my bike up the e
mbankment.

 
Jan and I arrived at the Christian School here in Trenton at 330.

The scenery today was beautiful and several times we had views of Lake Ontario.  We also biked through some neat towns like Port Hope and Cobourg which had amazing displays of flowers all over. They especially had large pots of brightly colored flowers hanging from the lamp posts.  Gorgeous.  
 
 
 


A neat thing that is happening on tour is one of the cyclists had a tutu along which is now circulating through the camp and a number of cyclists have had to wear it for an hour.  I caught Len Kooy, Rudy Folkerts and Allan Tans wearing it.  Malorie the owner is delighted to see this happening.


 

At our peloton meeting Al Karsten shared how he came up with the bike ride and called it “A Big Hairy Audacous Goal”  never imagining that it would continue into what we are doing today. Thanks Al for your vision and crazy idea. 


Yesterday my watch quit, so today I thought I would get a new battery. The jeweler replaced the battery, but it still did not work.  Apparently, the old battery leaked and did damage to the inner workings. Ugh. Now no watch, and will have to depend on my phone or GPS for time of day.  

Today I am on sweep (help in the Kitchener to serve food and clean up) so I have finished my blog late and will not be able to post it till tomorrow as we do not have WiFi here and I have to go either to Tim Horton’s or MacDonalds to post. 

1 comment:

Suzanne Guest said...

Fantastic post as always, Claire. I am so glad that you are (a) on this tour and (b) so faithful in your blogging. I loved today's pictures as well. Glad bless you real good as you continue on. I, for one, am going to be sorry when the tour ends because it will mean an end to the daily blogs and encouragement. Yes, you guys encourage those us who have are at home to face our challenges, to pray for those we don't know, etc.