Wednesday, August 21, 2013

August 20th Ausable to Whitehall 83 miles August 21st Whitehall to Albany 76 miles


August 20th Ausable Chasm to Whitehall 82 miles

As I write this I am almost falling asleep due to exhaustion and heat.  Jan and I started out with Mary from Illinois.  As we were climbing a very steep hill my chain came off. Mary stopped for a short while but her muscles started to cease up so she continued on. 

Today was a day for hills, lots of hills some with very steep grades, over 12 %.  Our day started out nice and cool so biking up hills was not that tiring, but by afternoon hills were getting to us and we were ready to be done. We climbed 5075 feet and descended 5375 feet.  It was a grueling day but we had beautiful  scenery as we rode along Lake Champlain and through various villages. 

Every one was glad to be in and finished for the day. Lots of people are talking about hitting the sack early as they are so tired, myself included. 

Right now I do not have anything further to say. 
When we were in Ausable, Sysco made a delivery to our kitchen truck but it got stuck trying to get out and it was a great affair trying to get it out.  The truck to the kitchen trailer pulled it out.

 
 
I got a chance to look at a little bit of the Chasm from the road. I did not have the energy to do a 3 mile hike along the chasm Monday afternoon

 
 
 
 
August 21st Whitehall to Albany NY. 76 miles
Last night Bill and Rita Wybinga came to camp as they were doing volunteer work for DRS in the area. Bill hopes to ride with George VanderKuur today. The volunteers with DRS are planning to greet the riders along the way.
Last night we also had 2 cyclists leave the tour as one was told his son was in a car accident in Zealand Michigan where the driver was killed but his son sustained head injuries.  His wife and daughter were flying in from Mexico as they were on a service project there and he was flying into Grand Rapids from NY.  Please pray for Taylor Holbrook and his son that he has no serious injury. Joan Doornspleet from Courtice, Ontario left the tour as her daughter was having a baby 3 weeks early and she felt needed to be home.
Jan and I started out our day at 645 AM. It was 60 degrees and sunny skies.  There was a little fog in the pastures, but otherwise the ride went well.
We rode together for the first 30 miles and were then joined by Dave and Russ and Mike and Mary. Dave and Russ have been our knights in shining armor as they come along side us and pull us to the next SAG.  Jan and I often start again by ourselves and then Dave and Russ catch up with us and we draft behind them.  Thanks so much Dave and Russ for your thoughtfulness and kindness, Jan and I really appreciate this.
Mike and Mary
 
Peter and Jane Elgersma with me.
 
We did not have as many hills as yesterday, so the ride was much easier.  We were greeted By the DRS volunteers at the 3rd SAG.  I knew Pete and Jane Elgersma who are distantly related both on the Elgersma and Aukema side.  I hope to work with them sometime when Hank and I do more DRS work.
We did ride along some busy roads in Troy, and also a bike path into Albany.  When we got off the trail we saw downtown Albany straight ahead of us  

State University of New York downtown Albany
 
 A the very end of our ride we had about 3 miles of hills which challenged us at the end.  Made up of the rest of the day when we had few hills compared to yesterday.
Tonight we are staying a YMCA which has great showers and internet.  Funny how we appreciate good facilities.  Last night in Whitehall our facilities were sorely lacking and had a bit to be desired.  For most of us this site barely cut it, but we had to make do.
When we arrived in cam, we were greeted by members of the Dalmar Reformed Church in the area and treated to fresh popcorn.
 
Internet is giving my trouble this afternoon and not allowing me to upload all the pictures I want to post.  I will try to post more pictures tomorrow.
I am on kitchen duty tonight so want I need to sign off. 
 
 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you for all your efforts...both planning and riding. You are an inspiration to all of us who enjoy your blog...me as I read you each morning sitting here in FL. The best to you for the rest of S/S 2013 and beyond !!!