Friday, August 9, 2013

Got up at 530 this morning and had a great breakfast of bacon, eggs and oatmeal and fruit smoothy.  Great start for the day. Dan brought me back to camp by 630 so I could be ready to ride with Maggie Williamson, a 2005 cyclist from Kitchener Waterloo who would ride from London to Kitchener 72 miles.  She arrived right on time so we left at 7 with Jan Quist.
Kitchener is my old stumping grounds as I lived here for 25 years and left here to move to Michigan in 2007.  It felt good to ride through familiar territory. I especially remember doing lots of training rides in this area before my 2005 tour.  Good memories. 
It was a great ride, great temps and beautiful scenery.  We stopped for a coffee and second breakfast which I shared with Jan. We overwhelmed the staff, but they handled it all in stride.

After we left the restaurant we saw a field of sunflowers and had to have some pictures as both Jan and I were wearing out Lake Michigan Shoreline bike jerseys which has sunflowers cherries, Mackinac Bridge on it.


After this stop we went off route and headed to St Jacob's at tourist town in the center of Mennonite country. On the way we stopped at the Blue Moon tavern to show Jane, Barb and Jan all the beers on tap. Here we are ensuring we are properly hydrated for the rest of our ride.

We enjoyed our ride to St Jacob's and I even bought a pair of pants which I could carry in my camelback.



Tonight I will be staying with a good friend Christiane Bos.  It is nice to have friends invite me to stay with them when I come into town. Sleeping in a real bed beats sleeping in a tent.
 
Blessings till tomorrow and hope to have a good nights sleep. 

No comments: